Bibliography & Further Information
Some of the references and links below were used for information for these web-pages and serve as a source for further information for interest. Most of the information is available from the book and booklet mentioned at the top of the list. Some links are listed for further reading.
- “Explore Guildford. 5 walks around historic Guildford” by Guildford Archaeology Group. Available from the Tourist Information office.
- “Guildford: A Short History” by Matthew Alexander. ISBN 1 869866 02 9
- A short history by Surrey on-line (Webpage no longer available)
- Some concise information Guildford (From Nation Master Encylopedia: Webpage no longer available)
- What is a Town in the UK? (From Nation Master Encylopedia: Webpage no longer available)
- Information about UK city status (From Nation Master Encylopedia: Webpage no longer available)
- About Guildford’s application for city status (From Nation Master Encylopedia: Webpage no longer available)
- National Trust
- History of the Wey Navigation by the National Trust
- The River Wey Trust
Yvonne Arnaud. See also
<!– a href="http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Archbishop-George-Abbot" title="George Abbot">Nation Master; –>
- About his geographical work (paragraphs 12-26).
- “Old Boy” of Royal Grammar School
Pictures in The National Portrait Gallery<!– ;
Dead link: Soli Deo Gloria books –>
Royal Grammar School
The Royal Grammar School,
see in particular their brief history of the school.
More detailed information is available from the National Archives
and Exploring Surrey’s Past,
information from these two websites has been especially useful in resolving conflicting statements about the year the school was
It should be noted that the statement in Matthew Alexander’s book,
“Guildford, A Short History”, that Robert Beckingham died in 1512 is incorrect.
- Chantries on Wikipedia.
- The Chained Library.
- Dennis Bros. (Rodboro Buildings)
- Electric Theatre (Note: The actual page used for information is no longer available).
- The Guildhall
- Guildford House
- The original Odeon Cinema
- The Odeon Cinema